Monday, November 7, 2011

Chris Jordan: Midway

from Chris Jordan's Midway project

While spending the past week in San Diego visiting my sister, I had the opportunity to glut on the wonderful museums around town. One of my favorite museums in San Diego is the Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park, which currently is exhibiting Infinite Balance: Artists and the Environment. Among the many interesting works in this show were several images from photographer Chris Jordan's series Midway, which were incredible to see in person. These photos explore the albatross community on Midway Atoll, an extremely remote cluster of islands which, though they are 2000 miles away from any large land masses, come into contact with vast amounts of floating plastic trash. The albatross babies are fed this trash by their parents, who can't distinguish it from food, and the babies die. Jordan photographs their decomposing bodies, which are filled with the colorful bits of plastic that they ate. The photos are beautiful and heartrending--and make me so sad but also so curious. Jordan keeps a website about this project HERE and is also making a film about this project, which I'll be very eager to see:

2 comments:

  1. I would love to go to Midway Island and all the other islands just west of Hawaii to try to make art from what washes up there. I've seen the images of the dead seabirds their insides so full of plastic and it makes me deeply sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albertus, I was totally thinking of you while seeing this show! I would love to see what you would make on a visit to Midway...

    ReplyDelete