Monday, December 13, 2010

Star of David with Yin Yang.

I just spent the week in NYC, where I was attending an opening at the Drawing Center for the Day Job exhibition, flitting around town like a maniac to see friends and art, completely ruining my knee by walking for hours and hours every day, neglecting to sleep AT ALL for fear of losing even one precious moment of NYC time, and drinking a few too many whiskeys. Well, hey.

My pal Tom and I went to a weird, divey Italian restaurant on Thursday night after the opening. I wish I could remember what/where it was. There was a cheesy holiday party going on inside, and pretty much the best paintings you can even fucking imagine on the walls. A little thing from my journal:

6 comments:

  1. Somehow it strangely begins to make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, do you mean the Star of David, Yin Yang, Boobs painting? Because yes, I agree... there is a strange internal logic that bubbles to the surface as wine formalities are repeated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tattoo of a star of david with a yin yang inside it. I got it when I was 21. I think the combo of both images (the star as david's original shield, and the yin yang as a sign of balance) gives me strength. There are other symbols in the star of david, though, with the mix of the elements of fire and water. I can't speak to the breasts in the painting, except to guess that maybe the artist thought that the symbol was so powerful that it might cause someone to expose their flesh to it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very nice interpretation of those paintings--I'm totally sure you are right about the boob element too. Makes PERFECT sense! :D

    ReplyDelete