Sunday, September 26, 2010

Questionable taste.


This bug was found in New Hampshire this past August, hanging out on a pile of dog poo with some slugs. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what it is. It sure looks like a dragonfly nymph to me, but I thought they stayed in the water until their final moult--and I didn't think they were particularly into scat. This pile of poop was a good 200-300 feet from the closest water source. Maybe even a little more than that. Look at those bright yellow segments at the end of the abdomen! That is what made me notice this little guy. Would any of my wonderful bug pals (Cindy, Aydin, Katura, anyone??) out there happen to know who this Yellow Butted Poop Lover might be?

UPDATE: Bug Sleuth Cindy over at Bug Safari figured out that this is a Gold and Brown Rove Beetle, Ontholestes cingulatus. Yay!

9 comments:

  1. Velly intellesting...
    Sorry, no idea what it is. You can always post it on BugGuide.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! I think I found it! It looks like a Gold and Brown Rove Beetle, Ontholestes cingulatus
    Here it is on BugGuide.net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy!! You are brilliant! I was looking and looking on BugGuide and just couldn't figure it out, but you are obviously the queen of bug IDs. Thanks so much--that is clearly the one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he! I just love being a bug detective :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool bug! Never seen one. I am not much of a bug person. If you had asked me about the slugs, I might have had a better chance...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Aydin! I know you're a slug man rather than a bug man... but this little guy was hanging out with some slugs. They were all having a revolting feast together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent ID! Never heard of this beetle before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was Pete Best. He felt like shite after the other Beatles dumped him.

    ReplyDelete