Thursday, April 8, 2010

What was missing is no longer; goose intimidation techniques; a nice white meat

After a night of glorious sleep, interrupted only by my recurring French grammar dreams and then a raucous thunderstorm, I woke bright and early to get myself psyched up to drive to the grocery store. Since I've been living in cities for the last 9 years and hate city driving, I drive very infrequently--so sometimes I feel a little anxious about getting in the driver's seat of a car again.

I got a little work done on my new video while having breakfast, and then at a little after 10 I pulled on a sweater and tromped through the wet, wet grass towards the Education Center, where I would pick up the car keys. I emerged from the woods and began walking on the footpath past one pond, then another, towards a small bridge under which there is another Mama Goose nesting. As I approached the bridge, Daddy Goose came running onto the path, his big floppy feet slapping against the pavement. He opened his mouth wide and stuck out a big, juicy pink tongue and started hissing as he ran. His round body bobbed back and forth and his tongue glistened as I heard him say THHHHHHHHH! I know he was trying to scare me, but come ON. It was the silliest looking thing ever. I told him to please calm down, and I scurried on so he'd put that pink tongue away. (The display looked a lot like this photo, which was captured by another goose admirer.)

I got to the Education Center, got the car keys, and proceeded to drive just about everywhere in Bernheim except toward the Main Gate. After much circling and many U-turns, I finally found my way out... gracious. Then I realized that I'd been silly to worry. Driving along 245 was delightful and pretty, and gave me the opportunity to see all of the beautiful farms around, and pass by the Four Roses distillery. I made it to the grocery store in cute little Bardstown, got my shopping done, and got back to Bernheim without incident.

When I returned the keys, Mark and Regina at the front desk were talking about the snapping turtles here at Bernheim getting numerous and eating up the baby geese and many of the fish. Apparently they have to be caught in jugs now and then. I asked what one did with a trapped snapper. They told me that relocation is always an option, but that they also make excellent soup (although apparently it's a serious business getting them cleaned and out of their shells.) I asked, "How in the world do you kill a snapping turtle for soup, though?" Mark gave me an apologetic look, and said, "Now, I know it sounds barbaric, but you get him to bite onto a piece of wood, stretch his neck out, and cut off his head!" Regina chimed in and said, "I don't think I could do that... but snapping turtle soup is delicious!" Mark added that they have "a nice white meat."

I said goodbye to Mark and Regina and came back to my cabin. A few minutes later I got a call from Claude Stephens, Director of Education, who stopped by to say hello and see how everything was going. And, bless his heart, he had read in my blog yesterday that I had a dry cabin over here--and he brought me a nice wee bottle of Knob Creek! Tonight I'll crack that delicious thing open! We had a lovely chitchat and he offered to introduce me to some local Louisville artists, which I am looking forward to immensely.

Now I'm going through a huge box of stuff from American Science and Surplus--piezo mics, a crystal radio building kit, some telegraph keys, and lots of other bits and pieces. I'm starting to put together some test "equipment" for my upcoming plant experiments...

Oh, you wanted to know what my cabin looks like?

3 comments:

  1. "upcoming plant experiments"...ooh, I wanna hear about those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been following your Bernheim adventures with some amusement! Looking forward to seeing your ant dance on video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aydin, I'll post about those plans pronto! Al, let's meet up soon, if you have time! I'm going to email you.

    ReplyDelete