Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ugly Cake and Pupal Santa.


Highlights of the Day
  • 5:00 AM My phone beeps because I've just gotten an email from M. It's like the coyote alarm clock, because 30 seconds later I hear coyotes yodeling in the distance. It's eerie and wonderful, and they seem to be singing along with firetruck sirens.
  • 7:00 AM Finally fall back asleep after thinking about everything in the world, just in time for my alarm to go off at 8:00.
  • 9:00 AM Yellowjacket in here. Again.
  • 12:30 PM After a morning of studying and planning, embark on a beautiful walk around the lake and all through the Arboretum.
  • 1:00 PM Thinking a lot about one of my mom's many baking specialties, the glorious and drool-worthy Ugly Cake (affectionately named such because for some reason it always looks a little lopsided). Wishing intensely I had an Ugly Cake.
  • 1:30 PM See dried up frog on the path. Thoughts of Ugly Cake recede.
  • 3:45 PM On way back to cabin, see remains of bird. Just wing and some insides. Ugly Cake is even further away now.
  • 4:00 PM Exchange a flurry of emails about cupcakes and frosting recipes with M and my mother. Ugly Cake comes back into my mind.
  • 5:00 PM Realize I haven't had a cupcake in 15 days, which is some kind of record for me. Having fond recollections of Brooklyn cupcake parties with B.
  • 7:00 PM Something falls down the chimney and wriggles in the ashes. Gerry from Global Swarming Honeybees suggests that it might be a larval Santa Claus, and that he will pupate until December 25.
  • 10:00 PM Become profoundly sleepy--maybe because of those 2 hours lost from 5-7 this morning--but decide I better blog anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment