Friday, February 19, 2010

Daily Parasite Delight!

Man oh man, am I ever excited about the Parasite of the Day blog by Susan Perkins at the American Museum of Natural History. Can you think of a better way to start your day, EVERY DAY, than by reading about a parasite while drinking your coffee? Fantastic. I have some catching up to do, because there are more than 50 parasite posts already. I better brew a big pot of coffee.

Monotropa uniflora.
Photo by Matthew S. Staben.

Also, I learned from Ms. Perkins' blog that one of my favorite little plants, the Indian Peace Pipe or Monotropa uniflora (which I always used to go hunting for with my grandmother during my childhood summers in New Hampshire) is in fact a parasitic plant. It gets its nutrients from subterranean fungi that form symbiotic relationships with trees. Read more about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment