Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fond memories of Gumby.

Art Clokey, the creator of the claymation character Gumby, died in his sleep on Friday, January 8 at his home in Los Osos, California. He was 88. More here.

I have very fond memories of the TV show Gumby. As a very little kid, I would watch it on the weekends in the basement of my parents' house while sitting in a soft, plush gold-colored chair (that eventually got fleas from Fenwick and was impossible to sit in without being covered with bites). I think two episodes of Gumby followed Zoobilee Zoo on Saturday mornings. I clearly remember having an intense feeling of melancholy when the second Gumby show ended. Sometimes I would cry when it was over because I missed Gumby and Pokey so much! I thought about them throughout the week, and looked forward to seeing them again every Saturday.

I happened upon this episode about the Moon Boggles (which I remember seeing several times), and it brought back all of my warm feelings about good old Gumby.

No comments:

Post a Comment