Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sunrise, rabbit holes, gone again.

This morning I got up at 5:00 AM (a wee bit earlier than my usual wake-up time, to say the least), and took the train up to Central Park for a photo shoot with Dan Dry for an upcoming profile in the next issue of the University of Chicago Magazine. It had been quite a while since I had seen the sunrise, and I must say, it was really delightful! The photo shoot was fun--Dan took several portraits of me, but also lots of photos of me in performance mode in the first little sprays of morning sunlight.

Late last week, I did a performance shoot with my neighbors, fashion duo RomanLeo, so I've gotten a few chances now to practice being in front of someone else's camera! I was worried it would be embarrassing and awkward, since my performances have always been such solitary activities, but I was really relieved to discover that it was actually pretty comfortable.

Now I'm at home packing and packing for my next journey.

In two days I will be heading up to Blue Mountain Center, where I'll be spending the month of October thinking about work, making work, and enjoying a long break from communication technology. There is a no-cell-phone rule in place at Blue Mountain Center, and there is very limited internet access as well. Therefore, I will be writing a lot of letters--and I'm rather looking forward to the opportunity to do so!

In anticipation of my residency, I have been marinating myself in facts about fungi, underground ecology, and Lewis Carroll stories. I have high hopes that these three things will collide and cause something monstrous and wonderful to happen in front of my video camera. (I promise I will not attempt to eat any shrinking mushrooms, however.)

(John Tenniel's illustration of
The Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll)

No comments:

Post a Comment