Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mystic Seaport.

Yesterday Eric, Maxime and I went to the Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, and had the most wonderful time. Here are some pictures that Eric took:


We climbed aboard ships and explored them, wondered what it would be like to sleep in the minuscule bunks in the ships' bellies, bonked our heads going through tiny doorways, smelled all of the old wood and paint, and listened to sails whip around in the wind.


We saw jellyfish floating in the waters below and watched them pulsating among schools of tiny fish.


When I saw this figurehead on one of the ships, I jokingly yelled, "Look, it's Joseph Conrad!" The sculpture reminded me of a portrait of Joseph Conrad that I had seen in my parents' old copy of Victory in their house in Maryland. Then I took a look at the informative sign describing the ship, and lo! The boat was called Joseph Conrad! After this lucky guess of mine, I made sure to point out my incredible knack for recognizing old authors' heads until my companions were groaning.


My favorite part of the museum was the ropery, where we learned how ropes were made in the old days. You could see every step of the production in this very long building--starting with puffy piles of hemp being spun into yarns; those yarns being wound together to make thicker strands by big mechanical devices that drove from one end of the building to the other while twisting the fibers; and finally thick ropes being wound together to make massive braids to be used on ships. The equipment was fascinating--I wished I could see and hear it all working. It must have been a deafening place.

2 comments:

  1. Julia...Saw your work at Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest recently and loved it! Looking forward to meeting you and hope you enjoy your residency. I'm an artist and blogger too...here's my link:
    http://artistatexit0.wordpress.com/
    all the best to you... Albertus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Albertus! I look forward to meeting you too, and to reading your blog in the meantime. Love those shots of the egret with the black vultures!

    ReplyDelete