Thursday, August 27, 2009

Southward!

The Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest in Clermont, Kentucky (just south of Louisville) has asked me to be their next Artist in Residence! I'm really thrilled--I've been crossing my fingers about this opportunity since I applied back in January. The details aren't ironed out yet, but the residency program involves a 2-4 month long stay on site in the 14,000 acre forest. The friendly folks at Bernheim and I are figuring out how and when, and in the meantime, I'm going to take a trip to the forest in September to meet everyone and participate in their upcoming arts festival, Connect.

I was just reading a little about the history of Bernheim, and learned that it was was founded in 1929 by Isaac Wolfe Bernheim, who was a Jewish traveling salesman who peddled his wares on horseback, and also a successful brewer of bourbon. He is known for starting the I. W. Harper brand of bourbon, which, sadly, is not widely available anymore. He bought the 14,000 acres in Kentucky for $1 per acre, because it had been ruined by strip mining. How fascinating! I can't wait to see the forest, and, later, to get to know it well!

Unfortunately, my September trip for Connect takes place on the weekend of the Cricket Crawl, so I will no longer be able to go out counting crickets and katydids in the city that night. But I hope that some of my friends in NYC will, and that they will tell me how it went once I'm back!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, is the bourbon available there in Kentucky? will you bring some bourbon back for me? That could be our excuse for getting together once you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, congratulations on getting the residency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Claire! You may have to settle for something other than the I. W.--it sounds like it may not be available in the US at all anymore. But I like this idea of a bourbon evening once I'm back... I'll be in touch about that!

    ReplyDelete