Sunday, August 16, 2009

One invertebrate, one remnant and two mammals.

On our hike yesterday there was no shortage of Spined Micrathena spiders (Micrathena gracilis). Their webs stretched across the paths and were broken by our arms and faces, and we carried the poor spiders all over the place. This large, spiny arachnid that you commonly see in the center of a web in the forest is a female; the males are small with a flat abdomen and do not build webs once they are adults.

Something I learned about the Spined Micrathena today is that she will stridulate if disturbed to produce a buzzing sound. The next time I get one of these spiders on my face while hiking, I'll see if I can hear it.


I am assuming the molt shell below belongs to some orthopteran, but I can't figure out who precisely left this behind. I'm thinking someone in the cricket family. The shell was attached to a dark overhang on a granite boulder covered with lichen. It was close to the ground.


And look at these two fine mammalian specimens found stomping around in the depths of the forest. Truly glorious examples of bipedal, blueberry-munching, woods-dwelling beasts.

Photos by Eric.

1 comment:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Betty

    http://adoptpet.info

    ReplyDelete