Friday, June 19, 2009

June 19.

I had a great birthday full of wonderful art today. I saw two shows that I really loved in Chelsea: Blind Buzzard, featuring the works of Anke Weyer and Adrian Meraz, at Leo Koenig Projekte; and White Noise, a collision of art, music and sound, at James Cohan Gallery. At the latter, Jay King's and Mario Diaz de Leon's video/sound piece Portrait of Glenda Goodman really got me--incredibly intense, alarming, and awesome. I'm glad I discovered their work.

Afterward I trekked over to Harvestworks for the nowTHENafter listening party, where I heard works from a DVD of experimental sound and music works. I was most excited about a piece by Marina Rosenfeld that incorporated strange human-made noises; a deep and rumbling work by Ray Sweeten that was frightening and lulling and could be felt as well as heard; and a piece by 8-Bit Contruction Set, a group of Atari musicians whom I've loved since Eric introduced me to their music some years ago.

Now hopefully some hiking this weekend if the rain lets up at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment