Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Great day of installation.


Today I really tried everything in the installation space. I got suggestions from everyone I could (especially preparator Adam, who had great ideas about keeping the installation dynamic; wonderful intern Pilar, who tirelessly helped me all afternoon; and of course Josh Melnick, who has been such a comrade-in-arms throughout installation). I dragged those monitors all over the room trying to find the perfect configuration: I tried creating a cluster of screens in one corner; I tried lining them all up against one wall; I tried putting one of the monitors in a windowsill; I tried scattering them across the room facing all different directions; I tried creating a partial hexagon.

I made an effort to find something I liked about every new formation I tried, and in the end, I managed to settle on an installation that was really a culmination of all of this experimentation. I ended up creating a wide semi-circle of screens, and I adjusted the heights of the monitors so that they spiral down from tallest to shortest. I left the space feeling really happy with the way this configuration works in the space. Tonight I'll sleep on it, and I'll see how it looks in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment