Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Soundmaking.

I'm again in the process of working with my footage from MD (you know, the lethargic, fungus-y, sick belly footage I described a few posts ago). This particular video is coming together very intuitively in editing, and I didn't do very much manipulation of footage speed this time. In fact, I think this video will have the highest percentage of real-time footage of anything I've put together so far, which is exciting! These works at the tail end of the Timber series are moving in a new direction (hopefully a direction that will pick up speed as my fall residency at the Blue Mountain Center approaches.)

Although my bits and pieces of footage in this video have been left mostly unmolested (except for some color correction), I am doing some serious stretching, shrinking, layering and flipping of found and recorded sounds. I'm mostly working with instruments today--glockenspiel, windchimes, cello, bells. Also some frogs and a dove, though, to keep things quirky. This video has a very mysterious, ringing, musical sound that I hope suits the strange rainy-dark-spring environment in which the movements are taking place.

My work with sound on my videos has become increasingly complicated since my very first insect videos in 2005. This is not to say that I am well-schooled in sound design... on the contrary, all of my video and sound skills have been gained over the years through slow exploration. That is to say that I am self-taught. Regardless of my lack of sophistication, though, I find I am able to get lost in the process of soundmaking for hours and hours, and it is a joyful part of artmaking for me. Actually, what I find most joyful is the marriage of image and sound in my videos--it is endlessly thrilling to facilitate this union.

I find, in my videos, that the most subtle movement of the body can become magical with the right sound to punctuate it. Or stillness of the body can be filled with tension and strangeness with a simple tone. The movements in my footage actually look different depending on the sounds that support them. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment